The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Popularity of American music in the UK7177

Albert private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everybody,

I have just done some reading about pop music during the period between 1955-1964 in the UK. One thing that stands out is that many American artists achieved even greater success in Britain than they did in the US. I believe the British had many musicians during that time. They never made much of an impact in America. But rock and roll enjoyed enormous popularity in the UK. Why do you think the British people responded to American rock and roll so strongly before the British Invasion arrived on American shores? I believe the Everly Brothers had more hits in the UK than in the US.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Great post, Albert and thank you. Indeed, many, many artists hit it big-ger in the U.K. and even stayed popular well beyond their U.S.A. heyday. Maybe the British heard something "new" to their ears....1955 Elvis was new to everybody, but "Rock 'n' Roll" is an admixture of American black blues, white blues, country, gospel, folk, be-bop, jazz, bluegrass....put them all in a mixer and turn it on and mix for two minutes and voila, this new 'sound'that 'they' said would never last, that was probably 'more newer' to the U.K., although you had your skiffle music, Lonnie Donegan, old Scotch-Irish ballads. Lennon was right when he said "We simply gave you back your own rock 'n; roll, sliced a little differently." The Everly Brother were so, so, unique and their heavenly harmonies were, well, all the groups gave credit to Don & Phil and tried to imitate them and Don said his life was changed when he heard Bo Diddley and that guitar beat and when he did a variation on the opening riffs of "Bye, Bye Love", he and Chet Atkins looked at one another and said..."I think we have something here." Fate, luck, timing, talent, hard work, perseverance,......I believe that Charlie Gracie is another example, always popular abroad. Had a smash hit that started his career here "Butterfly.' I used to hang around with his nephew and the other guys in the neighborhood and he came by to visit his aunt and pulled up in a big, long, brand-new, red Cadillac convertible. We all hopped in (that car could hold a family of eight inside and another family of ten in the trunk and I happened to wind up sitting next to him as we tooled around the neighborhood hoping to see some of the cute girls...."plenty of room, girls" and I was in the highest of the seven heavens. Life was good!!! Sixty years ago and here I am still talking about it. A little off the subject, but France thinks that Jerry Lewis of the Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis comedy team is a comedic genius. Gave him tons of their highest awards, etc. He was big here for awhile, but they worship him to this day. Go figure.

Be well and thanks again, Craig
Post 2 • IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
The Everlys were so different to anything we had in the UK at that time. With the exception of a few American artists like Jonny Ray and then Presley but as kids we had little in common with them. Then came Don and Phil and we all connected with them, both boys and girls. I met many UK bands and singers and very few aren't Everly fans. And we stayed true to the Everlys and they to us, hence the Reunion in London.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
salfitz private msg quote post Address this user
I think the American music invasion began long before with the GIs during the second world war. I remember my mum being crazy about the jitterbug and my sister was mad on Glen Miller.. I think it is great that we have this huge melting pot of sound that has tendril - like connections that all link up.. music has no barriers and all musicians are brothers!!! (and sisters!!) thanks for the input guys..good to have the conversations xxx
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, George Gershwin, and your Ray Ellington and Ray Noble...lots of great people who loved and lived music. Of the three arts, Literature, Art & Music, in my humble opinion, Music is the most powerful of the three. American Invasion, British Invasion, we are a connected people. Roosevelt and Churchill got us through a terrible mess. I can't speak high enough about the both of them. Their jobs would kill a horse. Britishers, you are more than welcome to come over here and live and Americans, we could move and live in Britain in a heartbeat and I know there is a lot of good and a lot of not-so-good in both countries, but time marches on and things change for the better for the most part and I would not want to live in any other country in the world. Some countries, sadly, are....really....not-so-good and I am not judging anyone and wish everyone well. I could also move to and live in Canada easily, also. I enjoyed my visits there. I have enough genealogy research to do in Britain that it would take years to compile it all. I deal with a genealogy firm called Achievements in Canterbury, Kent. I have a lot of lines in Kent, Ramsgate, etc. Then there's Scotland. That would take more a few more years. Regardless, best to everyone in the world and I think that we can all agree on the one fact that our lives changed in the Springtime-Summertime of 1957 when I /we were listening to our transistor radios (which were a big deal 'back in the day') under the green leafed trees in the neighborhood and us eighth-graders first heard the words and sound of "bye, Bye, Love" by The Everly Brothers and we looked at each other and thought-sensed-said, "Hey, that is good!" Thanks Don & Phil. You guys brought us fun times. I never thought I would get to meet them and chat with them for a few moments years later. "Love is Strange" like life is strange. Those were the days.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Craig you are a star!! In Wales, that is the highest compliment xxx you write so eloquently.. I agree that those opening chords of Bye Bye Love.. they ring and rock and thrill. I have them as my ringtone on my mobile.. and people stop and say "that's the Everly Brothers" and I say YES it is!!! ha ha..xxx
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Well, thanks salfitz, that would make my Welsh ancestors happy, but YOU're the star....so cool that you have those famous opening chords as your ringtone on your mobile phone! Millions around the world would, indeed, instantly recognize them.....just one more evidence that Don & Phil Everly are known world-wide. They were part of the birth of rock 'n' roll, sold tens of millions of records, always put on splendid stage shows and were envied and copied by myriad big-name performing artists and stars. The EB deserve every accolade, every dollar they earned, and a serene retirement after all their efforts. Also, have to recognize Chet Atkins. Might not have been any EB if it wasn't for his efforts, also. Perhaps, no Presley if not for the "Colonel," no Beatles if not for Epstein. Who knows. I think there is some kind of fore-ordained fate, moira, kismet in our lives.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Definitely definitely recognise all the efforts of all around the Everlys of course Chet, the Bryants, Mom and Dad Everly, Cadence records..then later Dave Edmonds, Albert Lee, the reunion band on and on we go.. the phrase too numerous to mention.. the unsung back stagers.. and maybe a little mention for the loyal fans!!!
I was very crafty with my ringtone.. when I realised there was a little device on the Sony Ericsson to record.. so I have blackbird song to wake me in the morning.. sound of the waves to lull me to sleep ... my grand daughters' early efforts at sounds.. chattering, singing.. and then the famous chords for my ringtone!! I dropped my Sony clumsily in the sea this summer.. and almost had heart failure that I would lose all this precious stuff.. but hey its a toughie!! the only thing it find hard to do is charge.. everything else survived. whew!!
Nice talking to you !!!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Albert private msg quote post Address this user
Great and interesting answers. Very informative. I know that artists like Bobby Darin, Dion DiMucci, Jackie Wilson and Sam Cooke enjoyed great success in Britain LONG after there careers faltered in America. Some of them still scored top ten hits in the UK YEARS after their deaths. I do think it is harder for British musicians to enjoy greater success in the US, unfortunately.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Good observations, Albert. Agreed. Don't know why the hits, popularity, time lapses, etc. happen the way they do. Australia, Europe can be different, also.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
I became a teenager in 1956 and went from listening to the same music as my parents to having exciting music of our very own. Bill Haley came first and was exciting purely because of the sound rather than his charisma but I will never forget hearing Elvis for the first time. Swiftly on his heels came Little Richard, Fats Domino and of course our boys, they were all on my bedroom wall. In the same way that British groups were flavour of the month in America in the sixties American singers, groups and duos were hot property over here. The allure was enhanced by tv programmes such as 77 Sunset Strip. British offerings couldn't compete - Cliff and Billy Fury came close but The Allisons (anybody remember them) were the British answer To Phil and Don 😃. ROFL
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Exactly, Jane. We are birds of a feather. I turned 13 in September 1956, also. Bill Haley & The Comets were, indeed, big in the early days. Not attractive young rockers like the other 'names', but, as you so accurately say, their sound was hot. They must have made a gizillion dollars on that "Jingle Bell Rock" hit they had one Christmas. If they had some kind of royalty deal where they got $$ every time that song was played, well.......!! Heck, Alvin & The Chipmunks were hot for a few years. Dick Clark had his hand in every record deal in creation back then and he might have had The Beatles somehow, but missed that one by a hair. Who knew that the four lads from Liverpool would be the biggest thing ever. i think they sold more records than Elvis. More power to them. Success us always sweet to the taste. I always like "Ferry Cross the Mersey" by Gerry and The Pacemakers. Cool stuff no matter what the year. Just to think that The rolling Stones were once an opening act for Peter Noone and "I'm 'en..er..ree the Eight, I Am....."
Post 12 • IP   flag post
memories memories !! The Stones were a support act for the Everlys.. I saw them in Cardiff and called them "AWFUL" I could not believe that anyone could like Mick Jagger ha ha hah.. shows how much I know. I couldnt wait for them to get off the stage and the Everlys on. I did love their music eventually tho, once I got over the shock of their act, which left me cold.. Mick's strut was not for me - Sorry if I am offending Mick fans here xxx I must say that Honkey Tonk Women was a very powerful pop song in the late 60s. I was in San Francisco in 1969 and used to go to a club that had a resident three piece band.. lead guitar, bass and drums.. they were an excellent "copy" group and covered everything from the Stones to The Doors.. we had a ball, it was so cool to dance to live music.We stayed late one night to watch them Disect Honkey Tonk Woman .. word for word, bar for bar, chord for chord.. a labour of love, sounded just like the original.. two years later, gone.. disco took over.. then I knew I was getting old ha ha.. all of 25..
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Great recollections, Salfitz. I liked the early Stones, and a few of the later songs, but after that, meh. I saw them once in New York City and twice in Philadelphia. I just re-read my msg and meant to say..."En-ner-ree the Eighth (not Eight), ay am, ay am...re Peter Noone - Herman's Hermits. Also, re continuing popularity of some acts in foreign places, I believe that Bill Haley continued to be big in Germany.

Thanks, Craig
Post 14 • IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Just catching up with a lot of good posts at the site after a brief stay at the hospital and a pretty thorough medical checkup...

Great questions Albert!

And great answers [as usual] from you all!

Few other of your always interesting anecdotes beats riding with Charlie Gracie in his red Cadillac Craig! Only one I can offer is including [current Canned Heat drummer] Fito de la Parra in my first band "Los Sparks" [Ha ha!].

I could write pages about what I’ve lived first hand trying to answer your questions Albert, so I guess it’s better if I refer you to a couple of original sources in order to be more succinct:

1. Re: UK’s strong response to US r ‘n’ r:

1.1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_radio_in_the_United_Kingdom

1.2 Can’t recommend enough this MA thesis at Columbia University written by a true UK rock fan:
https://books.google.com.mx/books?id=Mx-nAgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Sound+of+the+City:+The+Rise+of+Rock+%26+Roll+By+Charlie+Gillett&hl=en-419&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUytuAk7zXAhWj44MKHeyYBxQQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=The%20Sound%20of%20the%20City%3A%20The%20Rise%20of%20Rock%20%26%20Roll%20By%20Charlie%20Gillett&f=false

1.3 "I wrote the thesis just as a way of rationalising to myself that I hadn't entirely misspent my youth listening to records to no purpose." An article on Charlie Gillett:
http://www.charliegillett.com/froots_article.html

1.4 History of British Rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R70GFIDeibU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZNQtJppJ4

1.5 History of Rock n Roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-j2rILarYA

1.6 An interesting conversation:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=29504

2. Re Everly Brothers hits in the US and in the UK:

2.1 http://www.musicvf.com/The+Everly+Brothers.art

2.2 http://www.number-ones.co.uk/singles/The-Everly-Brothers-number-ones.html

2.3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Everly_Brothers_discography

3. Some online courses on the subject:

3.1 https://www.coursera.org/learn/history-of-rock/lecture/2s8Gh/blues-in-the-uk

3.2 http://teachrock.org/lesson-plan-collections/

Post 15 • IP   flag post
Educational references, indeed, Ricardo. Thanks! Also, glad that you are doing well and please stay healthy.

Best, Craig
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglhope
Educational references, indeed, Ricardo. Thanks! Also, glad that you are doing well and please stay healthy.

Best, Craig

Thanx!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
WOW ... A LIFETIME OF READING RICARDO... THANK YOU ... HOPE YOU ARE WELL AND STRONG AFTER YR HOSPITAL VISIT!!
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by salfitz
WOW ... A LIFETIME OF READING RICARDO... THANK YOU ... HOPE YOU ARE WELL AND STRONG AFTER YR HOSPITAL VISIT!!

Thanx!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
44985 19 19
destitute