The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
What better way to spend a miserable cold wet Saturday afternoon making my Christmas cake listening to the reunion. I had to have the volume up high over the sound of the food mixer. I kept having to stop and have a little bop so it’s taken me twice as long. Cakes in the oven now for over three hours so I can relax and indulge myself with more beautiful Everly music. Can’t beat itxx❤️🎅🏻❤️
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
That's the way to do it Joy, Makes any task easier. I couldn't get round my compulsory walk in the mornings without the Everlys playing on my MP3.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi joyb it is a good DVD I play it most of the time I am glad they got back together
peter
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
My mouth is watering Joy, I can almost smell the mixed spice and dried fruit. I just love Christmas cake but sadly nobody else in the family does so I just buy a small slab from the supermarket. My Mum used to make a huge one and Dad always marzipaned and iced it about a week before the big day. She also made Dundee cake and Christmas puddings well in advance of the big day, my brother and I used to stir them all for luck and ‘have a discussion’ about who was going to scrape the mixing bowl. I loved fruit cake so much that if my parents went to a wedding they always brought their piece of cake home for me. Happy days!

I have just ordered the DVD of the Reunion concert, I have had the CDs for years but want to refresh my memory of how they looked.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi jane43 you will love it it is very good
peter
Post 5 • IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
I addicted to plum pudding cake with yellow custard sauce topping on it. Alas, less than 60 days 'til Christmas, but sadly, Christmas is no longer the wonderful time it used to be over here. John Wanamaker Department Store in center-city Philadelphia, huge organ playing, decorations, shoppers scurrying along the streets, roasted chestnuts on every street corner, Santa sitting on his throne with kids lined up.......... Sigh. Gone with the wind.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Happy memories Craig. Wish I could send you some cake and pudding in the post!! Might not travel well. I have to save my 3 daughters a little pot of the uncooked mixture as they love it. Enjoy your dvd it’s 58 sleeps to Christmas I think xx ❤️🎅🏻🎄
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Sorry jane been reading reply’s and got my wires crossed. I know you will love the reunion dvd you had better make a copy in case you wear it out. I have another 2 Christmas cakes to make. The pudding is already done I make two and keep one for the following year so I don’t have to do one this year Don’t worry it keeps wellxx❤️🎄🎅🏻
Post 8 • IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Oh I haven't made my Christmas cake now for a few years.
I was actually thinking about doing one this year..
Only thing is not too many of the family enjoy the fruit one(I always do a Dundee cake- heavy with rich fruit)
Marzipan & Icing..
Oh my Joy, what have you done ??
I need to get the ingredients in !!
Home made Christmas Cake it's going to be (the Dundee Cake recipe)
I have people to share it with instead of eating it all myself !
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Ha ha liz get cracking and it keeps so well you can enjoy it for a long time. Yummyxx🎅🏻🎅🏻
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Oh, Liz, you had to mention Marzipan! One more of my addictions. Wasn't there a poem, "Christmas is coming and the geese are all fat, Go put a penny in the ol' man's hat. If you don't have a penny, then a ha'penny will do, If you don't have a ha'penny, then God Bless You.".............?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
The poem is spot on Craig. Who in their 20's to 40's will know of such a poem? Too much with their head looking down at their phones, checking on anything on social media, snap chat what's that? Don't answer!!! haha I am not going there!!

I wish the young would talk more but most of their conversations take place on social media in whatever form.

I used to make my own pudding for Christmas usually 3 but for the last 3 years I have bought one. I feel guilty doing it, hopefully I will start to make my own again next year.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I remember my father saying that poem during Ch. time 'back in the day.' He was born in Dalhousie, India to British parents....George Edwin Hope & Alice Mary (Craig.) Other, relations who were born / married on Gibraltar, Ramsgate, Kent, Montrose / Brechin, Scotland, etc.

"Social Media" is a double-edged sword. Alas, people today are missing out on real life because they, as you say, don't look up from their little toy telephones, etc. Here in the U.S. lots of incidents of accidents / injuries from....walking into traffic, open manholes, walls, cars....as they have their earbuds stuck in their ears, while not looking at people, stop-lights, etc. Last week near the Spingfield Shopping Mall on Baltimore Pike a car smashed into the back of the car in front and that car smashed into the car in front of that one. Not sure if the first hit car driver will live or not and the second couple in the second hit car were taken to the hospital, also. Both cars totaled. The speeding car was driven by a 16-year-old who was "texting" at the time. The lawyers will have a field day with that one. It's getting to the point where it's becoming...very....dangerous to drive anymore. Drivers are too busy checking email, checking Facebook, eating sandwichs, etc., etc., etc.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
People have been killed here. A lorry driver killed a Mother and child because he was busy texting.
They are talking about making the penalty more severe foe using a 'phone while driving. I think they should remove their driving licence, that might make people think twice.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Exactly, Annmary. Pretty sure it is illegal to be talking, texting while driving in New Jersey across the river here. Sweden had / has a drunken driving problem and had to pull the offender's driver's license, large fines plus 3 mos.jail time (?) for the...first... offense. If there is a second offence, (two strikes, you're out) then they pull the license permanently and who knows what kind of jail time and $$ fines. It's a shame, but we're talking about killing people, so......
Post 15 • IP   flag post
44985 15 15
destitute