The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Helena private msg quote post Address this user
Just listened to Thrill me Jane. It was lovely. Thank you. Don't know where everyone finds all these beautiful videos but at the same time when I hear Don and Phil, I always feel sad xxx
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Don’t feel sad Helena, feel happy that they were part of your life. 😄
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Helena private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry Jane, you have just brought tears to my eyes. I am not embarrassed to say tears are starting to fall down my face xxx
Post 4 • IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
As usual, masterpiece(s). B. & F. Bryant can do anything. I thought that Don & Phil couldn't get the Bryant's material when they started at WB....?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
In response to Craig’s comment above I was looking to see if I could find the date of the move to Warner Brothers and came across this article. It doesn’t answer the question but it is quite interesting so I thought I would post it.

clickable text

Craig I think You Thrill Me is one of some songs that were recorded before they moved to WB but released after.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Hi Jane,
I believe that they moved to WB in 1960 and you well could be right in that they may have recorded the Bryant's "You Thrill Me" for Cadence, but when they left Cadence, Wesley Rose turned off the tap and can't see him letting that go onto a LP from WB....his competition. Bad blood when they left, anyway. When young artists start out they're 'hungry' and are thrilled to sign anything, but when the good ones start hitting it big but, are still locked into a low-paying contract, etc., that seems to be how those record producers make a bundle for themselves. Might not have been an "Elvis" if it weren't for "Colonel" Parker and I guess RCA waved enough $$$ in front of Sam Phillips at Sun Records for him to let Elvis "go" and facts show Parker had all kind of shrewd clauses in the contracts, as he became a wealthy man because of Elvis and vice versa. Ha, ask 'Chuck' Berry (Chess Records, the Chess brothers, Chicago) and 'Bo' Diddley and Little Richard (Specialty Records) about getting peanuts after they were getting hot, but locked into their earlier contracts when they were 'hungry.' I know you know all of this, so just rehashing the sad realism of the record business. Get songs, however, those early LP's.
Best wishes, Craig
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Craig, you are right it is from It’s Everly Time which was issued by Warner Brothers in 1960. Because it is a Bryant song I assumed it was released by Cadence. So somehow this Bryant song slipped through the Wesley Rose net. As it was their first LP with Warner Brothers perhaps it was rushed out and they somehow got it sanctioned by Wesley Rose. We will never know the answer as probably Don is the only one left who knows.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Exactly, Jane. Maybe, WB gave Rose enough $$ and he let that one go. Who knows. or, B. & F. kind of gave it to D. & P. and then, after the fact, Wesley said "no more."
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
One of my regular favorites, Thank you Jane.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Craig, I found the liner notes from It’s Everly Time:

clickable text

It seems that half the tracks were by The Bryants so there must have been some sweetener for Wesley Rose to allow it. I suppose everyone has their price, especially in the music business.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Yes, you hit the nail on the head, Jane. The pop music game is involved, indeed. Looks like they even recorded at Cadence during the 'switch over' and WB had enough $$$ to have Wesley Rose go along with it for awhile. The EB were incredible from 1957 to 1962, but the home run hits stopped after 1962, even though those first two WB LP's were absolutely fabulous and is where I think the EB were under-appreciated, indeed. They were innovators back when a lot of things were cookie-cutter productions. "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us" LP was the last one they had to do per their contract with Cadence, so "We just grabbed some of the songs our father, Ike, sang to us."

I don't know. It would have been very, very, very interesting to see what would have been had they stayed with Cadence. Don could have still had his blockbuster "Cathy's Clown" hit there. And, they would have surely had a #1 hit with "Lonely Street" had they done their version of it, instead of Bleyer giving it to Andy Williams. The Chordettes were in that corral of 'acts' they were shepherding for TV Variety Shows, watered down, safe, 'Pop Stuff',etc.

Guess it was the $1,000,000.(a lot of money back then...about 15 million in today's money)and didn't Phil marry one of Rose's daughters....? And, then when The EB did go to California, divorce her and/or Don told one of his wives, "You're just not 'Hollywood enough'....maybe it all went to their head, got Rose mad, they didn't do well in their movie screen testing, WB was careening all over the place and, alas, the '57 teens were now in their twenties, younger teens coming up, tastes change, Bob Dylan, the British Invasion was gearing up, Lennon, McCartney, Richard(s), all watched and listened and copied Don & Phil as they sat in the audience after their opening acts with their mouths open. "We thought we were in heaven. It doesn't get any better than the Everly Brothers." But,....but....."the times, they were a-changin'. Maybe...we...can also hit it big after all........"
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Phil’s first wife, Jackie Ertel, was Archie Bleyer’s step-daughter, her mother Janet was one of The Chordettes. It was Don who is quoted as saying that to his first wife Sue Ingraham who was Don Gibson’s cousin; she went on to marry Ernest Tubb’s nephew Glenn the same year Don married Venetia and they were together for over 40 years until Sue passed away. Glenn later married Dottie Snow, Hank Snow’s widow. So many connections it makes my head spin; it seems everybody knew everybody else in the early days of rock and roll.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Thanks, Jane. You're great. Yep, and perhaps the country-rock-pop world is even more intertwined, yet.....
Post 14 • IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Jane..
One of my favourite from the early days.
Have to say one of my favourite albums also.

Beautiful & gives me a nostalgia feeling. xx
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Jane I love You Thrill Me. Such a happy song I have Everly Time &. A Date with the Everlys in my car and drive along playing them very loud and singing along at the top of my voice xx❤️❤️
Post 16 • IP   flag post
It is an incredible song isn't it, Joy. Plus, I thought that was you who I heard singing all the way over here in Philly. You have a strong voice that really carries, indeed!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Ha ha. More like a fog horn!! I always want to sing along with their records but then I don’t hear them as well so I have to play the song again. A good excuse to play them over and over. Not that I need one xx❤️❤️
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Just kidding, of course, as I'm sure that you have a beautiful voice Joy, and no one can resist singing along with The Everly Brothers. I've been doing it for years!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
44985 19 19
destitute