The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 1 • IP   flag post
This was the answer to a question on Ken Bruce's Pop Master yesterday. The question was something like: Some of the Everly Brothers' songs featured speaking parts, what was this one from 1962; then an extract was played. The person taking the quiz didn't know.

It was one of their lesser known hits I suppose but I loved to hear Don's voice. My husband hated it for some reason, he can't remember why.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
I believe that it was the 'B' side of "That's Old Fashioned" as 45's were slowly going away...."How Can I...." was written by Jerry Goffin and another 'team meber' and had that New York City Brill Building Sound...Carole King....they all sat around the room and wrote, wrote, wrote, composed songs, wrote tunes, that had that "pop" sound to them...not quite who The EB were in my humble opinion.....1962.....the sun was starting to set.....1963 was the crossroads year and then The British Invasion and that was it. The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964 changed everything...... i often wonder what would have happened if The EB had stayed with Cadence AND the BRYANTS. Who knows.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
I expect they wondered that themselves Craig but if they hadn't gone to WB we probably wouldn't have had Cathy's Clown.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Just been listening to The Price of Fame disc that this is on in the car, during a lovely drive through the Border roads, autumn 🍂 leaves falling....several versions on the disc, and yours truly singing 🎶 along!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Good point, Jane. "Cathy's Clown" that 7 million + World Series Home Run hit penned by Don Everly and probably, just by itself, saved Warner brothers Records. That entertainment division was struggling to stay alive, so they got their money's worth out of The EB. The record business was a tough business. Presley, who started it all in 1956-1957 was an "act"...plenty of rock-pop music aropund, but with his sideburns, fancy clothes and hip-wiggling, well the girls screamed. Sexy romance, love, youth, vigor, 1920's Flapper Girls dancing to The Charleston with long pearl necklaces, the Bobby-Soxers of the 1940's screaming at skinny Frank Sinatra, the pony-tail, poodle skirted girls screaming at Elvis and then, of course, The Beatles. Lennon said that they liked everything American, rock music, clothes and we just re-molded it a bit and came over and gave it right back to you. We had skiffle music, you had black blues...." Elvis was The King who started it all, even though that was blind dumb luck, good timing and his manager, the mysterious "Colonel" Parker....then it was The Beatles....and that was it. The two major forces. And, I think it was Brian Epstein who 'polished' up the Liverpool Four...different hair-dos, trendy clothes.....then they morphed into the hippie, druggie scene, etc., etc. Jagger said that"It was Elvis with his raunchy act and The Beatles because they sold around a hundred million records, they couldn't help but make money. We made our money on our concert tours filling stadiums in as many cities as we could." Short shorts, Vinson Girls, Dallas Boys, Dick Clark TV American bandstand..."wild" youth.....been going on for decades. Now everybody is old and gone. The You-Tuber kids of today...I have no idea what they watch. Do they even still dance with one another? They seem kind of sterile, bland, sadly dull......Where's the next Elvis, the next Beatles...?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks jane I liked How can I meet her thought it was a bit of fun however I did prefer That's Old Fashioned which you will remember was the b side in the U.K. Xx❤️❤️
Post 7 • IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Jane I love this one.
Love the sound of the real early ones from the guys- but then I love them all !!
Hope you're Hubby's getting on well after his op..
I am waiting word to see if my hip is bad enough for an op.

Oh Craig!
I love your writings. You made me wonder also what the young ones are listening to nowadays.
I could have told you a few years back as all sorts used to come pounding out from the boys bedroom.
I don't even know what's in the charts now.
I'm stuck in the "good old days"
Hope you're well . xx

Post 8 • IP   flag post
Hi Lizzie,

Funny how our parents used to cringe when Elvis would be pounding out from our bedrooms 60 years ago, so I guess what comes pounding out of today's youth bedrooms is who / what they are listen to. Different Universe, different Solar System. Yes, i'm doing o.k., I guess, thank you for asking, as I hope everyone and their families and extended families are as healthy as possible, but Phil Everly was so right when he said as "you start to get 'up there', the legs are the first to go."

With love & best wishes, Craig
Post 9 • IP   flag post
So sorry to hear that Lizzie. Hope you are not in too much pain xx❤️❤️
Post 10 • IP   flag post
He is doing really well thank you Lizzie. He has spent the last few weeks digging up the old turf in the front garden and putting slate chippings down instead. Yesterday he treated himself to a day out in our nearest city, Birmingham, and walked for 90 minutes without a problem. A new hip will make such a diffence to you Lizzie.

I used to keep up with the latest music but apart from a few decent artists like Ed Sheeran and Adele it is all strange sounds by strange names!

So far my legs are holding up, probably down to the daily walks with my little dog. As long as the hips and knees can take it I will keep on enjoying the walks.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
This getting old is not good but we are all young at heart especially with our Everly music to spur us on. Xx❤️❤️
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Great to hear you're all doing great.
Especially your hubby Jane. I should find out next week the verdict on my hip.
Comes to something when my Dad who is 90 in couple months & can still strutt his stuff on the dancefloor when his daughter can't! LOL.

I've fallen behind - Again.
Got some catching up to do.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Joyb
Really young at heart Joy, I wish my brain would tell the body!! Haha xxxxxx
How are all your Grandchildren doing?
Grandchild number 5 started school a few short weeks ago & loving it..
One to go!! Not that I'm counting !!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
45158 14 14
destitute