The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
UK music lovers of my age will know how much we have to thank Jack Good for. He was responsible for the early tv music shows which gave us the opportunity to hear the music we loved and see our idols. His most memorable British show was Oh Boy with its frantic style, the quick succession of artists and the crazy dancers. He went to the USA and gave Shindig to the USA - the same format as Oh Boy.

As far as I know The Evs never appeared on Oh Boy but they did many times on Shindig. They only feature at the end of this clip but I had to post it for their dancing.

Jack Good may you rest in peace and thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing us the music. ❤️
Post 1 • IP   flag post
craiglhope private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Jane, I've never heard of Jack Good, but he sounds like a great guy and might have been the British version of Dick Clark / Bandstand, in any event, we can thank him for Shindig over here in the '60's.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I love the Shindig shows, I know the dancers were a little crazy but eh all dancers at that time were doing that type of dancing!!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
So correct, Chris, those dancers were a little berserk, over-the-top, but I'm sure that the producers told them to do it, then again, the show was more exciting and rock 'n' roll-y than some of the more tamer shows at that time. But, then again, the Go-Go years were starting to come into play and by the time the '70's rolled in, a lot had happened on the entertainment-music scene. Jack Good was a great guy, apparently.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I don't think there were dancers on the U.K. version of the show but there was a resident backing group The Venons Girls who wore very short shorts! There was also a resident male group, The Dallas Boys. It was in the late fifties and early sixties so before the Go Go years that you mention Craig. It was all very tame by today's standards but so exciting to us, something to look forward to on a Saturday evening.
Post 5 • IP   flag post

This is an extract from one of the two remaining Oh Boy shows, the others have been erased, such a shame! The Vermons Girls appear at the beginning in their shorts - we all wanted to be a Vernons Girl.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
salfitz private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for posting this Jane. The first time I saw the boys in Concert was with the Dallas Boys!! I think they were the support group for the Everlys.. I remember sitting with a breaking heart when the show came to an end thinking I would never see them again. I did, several times, but I never lost that heartbreak at the end of the shows!!! I wanted it to never end!!! Thanks again Jane.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Wow, good history. Love the details and facts. And, things sure did change up to what we have today. Whatever that is.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I first saw them in 1959 or 1960, I can't remember which year just that I was still at school. I don't remember anything about the show except sitting in the fourth row transfixed by actually seeing them after just looking at them on my bedroom wall and thinking how handsome they were. I think I bought a programme but it is long gone. I really wish I had seen them more and it was 1983 before I saw them again at the Albert Hall but it was worth waiting for. I saw them a third time in 1993.

Craig, if anybody had told us that there would be tv channels devoted to music and that we would be able to find almost anything we wanted in an instant You Tube we wouldn't have believed them. Would it have been so exciting? That is debatable.

I think what we have today has been devalued by celebrity culture and You Tubers, from what I see my grandchildren watching, very little talent IMHO. Perhaps I am just a grumpy old woman. 😀
Post 9 • IP   flag post
No, Jane, you are not "just a grumpy old woman," today's "culture" is a mile wide and an inch deep. Shallow, bland, 'gray.' Maybe, we are looking at our past through rose-colored glasses, but I think that today's people have missed out on the Golden Age of ________, fill in the blanks. Films, theater, cars, clothes, music, manners, cities, elegance, airports, restaurants, values, politics, trains, planes, ship lines, banks, radio, television, conversations, fun,....I don't know...I wish kids and teens and young people good luck and the best of everything, sincerely, in all that they're doing. Lucky to have a decent job with health insurance and a pension plan...good luck with that here in the U.S.

Oh, well. Time for an exercise walk and then listen to some Cadence / early WB Everly Brothers LP's.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I have always thought it such a shame that many shows are gone, like Jane says just 2 left of "Oh Boy". The reason they are gone is that new tape was expensive so they got erased and used again!!! The BBC were the worst culprits of this. I did find a good piece about all this several weeks back, I think I can find it again because it is on an album......I am waiting before I click reply in case I find it quickly!!!

Found it:

BBC Radio 1 started recording popular music at live sessions soon after its inception in 1967. It was set up by the BBC as a national radio station to combat off-shore pirate radio stations, which played recorded music day and night without restriction. Until then, most of the music on BBC radio was live because of the limited ‘needletime’ allowed for pre-recorded material by trade unions protecting the livelihood of resident musicians.

To bypass the constraints, Radio 1 invited outside artists into their recording studios to play live sessions and concerts. Not that the BBC executives of the 60s approved of pop. They bowed to commercial pressure and social change. More by accident than design, these events were responsible for creating a priceless sound collection which for 20 years lay undiscovered deep in the archives of the huge British Broadcasting Corporation.

To its credit, Radio 1 always welcomes unknown artists as well as established stars, giving them a valuable showcase for their work. Among those early musicians were: The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Dusty Springfield, Roy Orbison, Genesis, Pink Floyd and hundreds upon hundreds of others.

Sessions or concerts took four to seven hours to record and subsequent broadcasts were intended as one-off special events. BBC chiefs did not value the outcome. Engineers were always told to wipe tapes and re-use them to save money.

Happily, neither the presenters, producers, nor the engineers shared this cavalier approach. Generally they ignored the instruction and ‘dumped’ master tapes in cupboards and store rooms, or took them home for safe keeping.

The breathtaking extent of this forgotten collection was first uncovered in 1987 by Radio 1’s archivist Phil Lawton who was asked to examine a closet full of ‘discarded’ tapes. Although some of the original recordings had been lost or re-used, more than 40,000 were preserved. These master tapes form part of this truly unique collection, many of which will now be made available on CD to music lovers the world over as LIVE AT THE BBC

London, England has always been special for the Everly Brothers. Their innovative acoustic guitar rhythm and close two-part harmonies which gave early rock ‘n’ roll a unique blend of country, pop, bluegrass and rockabilly found an instant and admiring fan base in the capital. The BBC invited the brothers to record live at their Piccadilly studios in 1963 and again in 1968 a period when Don and Phillip were at the height of their career. These special recordings, a unique archive in their own right, took on an even greater importance as the sessions were held before the brothers’ acrimonious split in 1973. Their pre- 1970 recordings are considered by many as their best.

The songs they recorded for the BBC were uplifting and inspirational. Apart from a global audience who delighted in their music and mimed the catchy numbers by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, the husband and wife lyrical team, other musicians were equally fired by their style.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
That's very interesting Chris, thank you.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
salfitz private msg quote post Address this user
really interesting thank you
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Wowzers, Chris, that info is great!! You should get a Masters Degree in that history narrative. Indeed, Britain has always been good to The Everly Brothers. A little bit of water in between here and London, but no biggie......
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I think once the Everly Brothers had grabbed your attention in 1957 with "Bye Bye Love" you just had to be hooked, line and sinker!!!

Craig I loved your comment earlier about the Golden Age and the young of today, I wish them well they will need it with this ever changing world we live in now.

I believe we came through a time when innocence was seen as a good thing, now so much is said on social media against others that innocence is seen as naïve at best or stupid at worst and then they pick on them on line.

Come a long way? In some things..........yes, others I feel we had some of the best times looking back.

Thanks Craig.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
The albums that the BBC were commenting about "Live at the BBC" produced a fantastic cd "The Everly Brothers" 'Live at the BBC', I do have it, it is cheaper to buy in the US would you believe!!!

This is a link to listen to it all, "Susie Q" is the best version ever on this cd, recorded in the BBC studios.

http://www.countrynoise.net/the-everly-brothers/live-at-the-bbc/
Post 16 • IP   flag post
40,000 songs-tapes stored away and then found! man, what a find that was. BBC has an interesting history. Yes, the kids and teens today are in for some bumps, big bumps, in the road as they age. Suicide is either the first or second cause of death in that age group. Schools and the Internet. double-edged swords. i wish them well and safety, i really do. School shootings in the U.S. are ridiculous, to say the least! I'll take the sleepy, Eisenhower years. Corny, but safe. there have always been bullies from day one, but, things seem grimmer these days. "Kids, please, please, study, study as much as you can in school. It will help you when you are older and out in the rough, real world!"
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the BBC link, Chris. My favorite "'til I Kissed You" was great. A bit slower, a bit heavy on the drums and the usual great piano.....fun to listen to the different nuances of the songs throughout the years, different venues, backup bands, etc. Now you have me interested in Jack Good. Quite a talent.

Be well.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
The BBC are amazing and produce some wonderful tv and radio programmes. Some people grumble about having to pay the annual licence fee of £150 but it is little to pay for such quality. It is my granddaughter's ambition to work for them.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
45158 19 19
destitute