The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user

Sad news of the death of Glen Campbell who wrote this beautiful song.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
annefrances private msg quote post Address this user
I love this song ...Always one of my favorite.

https://www.facebook.com/bas.siewertsen/videos/929361663869203/

This is going around on facebook...!

It is from EBI but, so if hope that is ok with everyone.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
That's a great find AnneFrances. Glen was one of our favourites back in the seventies. There is a lovely documentary of him on Netflix which shows his fight with Alzheimers. He still gave concerts and had to have the words to his songs on autocue but had absolutely no problem with the guitar solos.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Jane and Anne both good to hear and to see Don and Phil sing with Glen Not seen that one before. Another great song written by Phil RIP Glen xx
Post 4 • IP   flag post
annefrances private msg quote post Address this user
Did Phil write Bowling Green? I did not know that? I thought Don and Phil co wrote?

Yes Jane..I saw the documentary awhile back and I do admire Glen for his courageous fight with this disease. It is because of his strong charactor and love of music that he did alot better than most. I admire his Family too for going on the road and sharing with him and making his his last days the best they could be.. The whole Family should be proud of their journey...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
"Bowling Green" is a big favourite of mine. That is a great link from EBI facebook Anne, let us hope they do what they say about eventually releasing it on youtube.

There are a couple of good links about Glen, one with his wife and his last concert tours which Jane spoke of.

Post 6 • IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
rest in peace Glen Campbell you were great thanks for the great songs
peter
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Phil and terry slater wrote bowling green but it was credited to Jackie Ertel Phils 1st wife. Maybe to get round problems with Acuff Rose. It's a beautiful song. Love the demo version by Phil xxx❤️❤️
Post 8 • IP   flag post
cuddles private msg quote post Address this user
hi liz58 thanks for letting me know
peter
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Bowling Green info from the Heartaches And Harmonies box set booklet:

Phil: "Bowling Green comes from a guitar riff I was showing Terry, and he wrote this melody. It was the first thing we knocked off together. That came alive on the demo. It went to #1 in Canada but it only did 40s in the US. I always thought that since it had gone to #1 in Canada it could have done well here. But I don't think that Warner Bros had much faith in us at the time, which is a shame. The song gets a lot of covers."

I read that the song was credited to Jackie and Venetia as part of the divorce settlements which happened around that time but it may also have been because of the dispute with Wesley Rose.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
There was a lovely documentary of Glen Campbell on BBC4 last night - Rhinestone Cowboy - followed by a concert with The Royal Philarmonic Orchestra. On BBC iPlayer for those who can get it; I am just settling down to watch.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
Lovely videos, so sad, RIP Glen.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
The BBC do great quick programmes don't they Jane? There was one on BBC Radio 2 on the day Glen passed away at 11pm that evening.
This is the link for the show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092n7rq

Post 13 • IP   flag post
43821 13 13
destitute