The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
I had no idea that this lady had been a forum member! Unfortunately, the thread where she tells about Phil has been archived, and i don't know how i can get it up again. It's called Who-What-When-How. I know she was mentioned in other posts, but sadly i understand she has now passed away
Post 1 • IP   flag post
salfitz private msg quote post Address this user
where did you find it Liz ??
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
I think Ricardo knows how to do it. Can you help Ricardo?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Is this her then? I always wondered who she was.

https://mobile.twitter.com/virginiaperl?lang=en
Post 4 • IP   flag post
It looks as if she has now passed away.

http://www.voy.com/120134/58890.html
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Kathy private msg quote post Address this user
She had written her memoirs about Phil and I heard was in the final stages of getting a publisher when she died. I do hope her family manages to get it published!!! She seemed very proud and. Excited about it. I'm sure would be great to read
Post 6 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I think because she wanted all Everly fans to know she was writing the book she went on all Everly web sites and told them of the book, she could never find a publisher so my own thinking on this was had the Everly family blocked it? According to what I read she and Phil were together around 2 and a half years but I am not sure because of time line with Jackie, of course it is possible. I would like to read her book but if the only topic is Phil and The Everly Brothers maybe some publishers thought that it had all been said before, who knows. Maybe one day her family will be successful in getting it published.

I can imagine that she had some great photos too.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
She was born in November 1941 so if she was 16 when they got together it would probably have been late 1957 or some time in 1958. If they were together for 2.5 years it would have been some time in 1960 when they broke up.

I think Phil's relationship with Jackie was a bit on/off but Phil was with Ann Marshall for a while and from another article I posted they broke up on her 20th birthday. Very soon after he got engaged to Jackie and since Ann was born in 1941 that would have been in 1961.

It was somewhat complicated but Phil was only 18 in 1957. My brother was born in the same year as Phil, was also blonde and good-looking and her had dozens of girlfriends before he settled down.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I know I have spoken to another US friend of mine about Virginia being only 16 and travelling West with Phil, how many parents in 1957 would let their 16 year old do that. I know my parents would not have allowed it full stop!!

I have 2 brothers Jane and the eldest was and is still a very good looking man, he had girls around him like bees around a honey pot. He knew he was good looking though. Still has 90% of his hair and still with colour. He still goes to rock 'n' roll nights watching bands and bopping with the best of them!!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I agree Chris can't imagine 1957 patents allowing a 16 year old to travel with a boyfriend. Perhaps his fame played a little part in that !!!!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I am in need tQuote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
I know I have spoken to another US friend of mine about Virginia being only 16 and travelling West with Phil, how many parents in 1957 would let their 16 year old do that. I know my parents would not have allowed it full stop!!

I have 2 brothers Jane and the eldest was and is still a very good looking man, he had girls around him like bees around a honey pot. He knew he was good looking though. Still has 90% of his hair and still with colour. He still goes to rock 'n' roll nights watching bands and bopping with the best of them!!
atQuote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW

That's great Chris. My brother is 80 next year and not in the best of health. Being 5 years older than me, although he liked the music I loved, he was more in to Johnny Ray and his style of music but that didn't stop home borrowing my records and some didn't find their way back to me!

Regarding Virginia's proposed book, I had the same reaction to Sharon Sheeley's autobiography and wondered how much of it was exaggerated.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Catwoman16201 private msg quote post Address this user
I was a FB friend of Virginia. She seemed like a genuinely nice person who had an interesting life. As far as her traveling on her own, she went to New York City as a teenager to be a model. I don't know any more than that. If the book comes out, hopefully we will learn more. My understanding about the book was that it was about her entire life, not just the part about Phil. She posted a part about her marriage to a wealthy Iranian and having to get out when the Shah fell.

As far as the Everly family stopping it, I hope that no one is able to do that. We are supposed to have freedom of expression in this country. It is very hard to find a publisher.

Betsy
Post 12 • IP   flag post
rosiebarm2 private msg quote post Address this user
@ChrisW and others

I remember when she posted and no big deal. If I remember, the photo was a chance to be recognized by sitting with Phil. If I recall, just one of those deals where you get publicity and Phil was it.

She did answer on either the site or on the photo shown on I tunes.

Think about it, just how many girls managed to be taken with photos .

Post 13 • IP   flag post
They were both very young and though I'm sure he was dating her it sounds like he was dating others as well at the same time shortly after he stopped seeing her he was engaged to Jackie so he must have been seeing her during the same time. I think he met Jackie in 57-58 also.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Thank you for the information Betsy.

http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/171786/?full name=virginia-hebel-perl

Her obituary from the Star Tribune (see above link) makes very interesting reading. She was a very interesting and well educated lady.

I read something a while ago that Phil was so desperate to impress Jackie that he asked a friend to tell him what books to read. He felt that Jackie had received a much better education than him.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
RicardoAPriori private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry for not answering before Jane, but I just logged in after a long absence.

Sorry again, for I had no idea about this Virginia Perl till now. However I think the rest of the team has solved the problem by now!

Post 16 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoAPriori
Sorry for not answering before Jane, but I just logged in after a long absence.

Sorry again, for I had no idea about this Virginia Perl till now. However I think the rest of the team has solved the problem by now!

Thanks Ricardo. Yes, most questions are answered on here eventually.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
45224 17 17
destitute