The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user

Found this article (and lost it again!) a few weeks ago, and now have posted it here. You may have seen it before, but it does make interesting reading - sadly the marriage didn't last, and Karen has now passed away, may she rest in peace.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Brendach46 private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting I have never seen this before.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
LizzieB private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Liz.
I've seen some of this article before - not sure if I've seen all of it before.
Interesting read & great browsing.
In RolandNote it says they divorced in 1983.
Thanks again Liz
Post 3 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen it before Liz, I have seen a couple of things Don has said why he wanted out of the Everly Brothers, some are not the nicest things he has supposed to have said.

I can't find anymore relevant information at the moment, these just came to mind.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
I remember reading this in the paper years ago when it was first written. I have read somewhere that Albert Lee says Karen was a lovely person who looked out for Don. She was a producer on David Frost's American tv show and I think she became Don's manager for a while. I have seen a picture of them cooking in the kitchen with Albert and they looked so happy. I believe she became very ill with Multiple Sclerosis and as Liz says she passed away, I think soon after they divorced.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
That's everything that I have read too Jane.

Post 6 • IP   flag post
rosiebarm2 private msg quote post Address this user
oh, I remember when this hit the news and was quite a topic, I remember then this hit the news and one of my friends spent days researching and sending email and phone call bank and forth, she was a very strong Don fan and this up set her very much. Billie was just so much a Don fan, rip Billie

from all we found out was not good at all . hopefully he is now happy with his current wife. It must be tough at times to be in the public news all the time
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the articles Chris. I didn't realise how much work Karen had done in the arts in addition to working with David Frost, that she won two Emmys or that she was a child entertainer so she had that in common with Don.

The article by Georgia Winters is too much of a challenge for my old eyes on my iPad mini screen so I will have to see if a magnifying glass helps; making it larger just blurs it.

The article about Michelle Phillips I posted in another thread indicates that Don was part of a very wild Hollywood set in the seventies. Let's hope that he is now in a much more tranquil period of his life.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Was that thread titled Michelle Phillips Jane? I know that that group were into drugs heavily at that time. I saw a VH1 programme once about them and I was taken aback how bad the drug taking was.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Chris it was a link in the last post in the thread I'll See Your Light posted by AnnMary. Joy and I said it reminds us of a Mammas And Pappas song which directed my grasshopper mind to an article about Michelle Phillips I read some time ago in Vanity Fair. Michelle was a good friend of Phil and Don's one time girlfriend Ann Marshall.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
annefrances private msg quote post Address this user
Carol and I met Karen several times with Don. Supposely, she was ill when we saw her at Fan Fair in 76 ..they thought was menegitis. She did looked pale..but, she was smiling and very nice.

She was there supporting Don at JAustins at a table.. When we got ready to leave that nite, I will never forget how she grabbed my hand and thanked me for coming. I will always remember that...

I found later it was MS and that she had moved in with her sister .

I found it very sad that she passed away so young...

And Rosie I agree, I am so happy has Adela in his life..He deserves happiness for all he has given...
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I appreciate the clippings ..I have never seen them..They are a little hard to read

I have hard time reading about Karens book...Does anyone know the name? Does anyone have it?

Thank you
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by annefrances
Carol and I met Karen several times with Don. Supposely, she was ill when we saw her at Fan Fair in 76 ..they thought was menegitis. She did looked pale..but, she was smiling and very nice.

She was there supporting Don at JAustins at a table.. When we got ready to leave that nite, I will never forget how she grabbed my hand and thanked me for coming. I will always remember that...

I found later it was MS and that she had moved in with her sister .

I found it very sad that she passed away so young...

And Rosie I agree, I am so happy has Adela in his life..He deserves happiness for all he has given...

That's a lovely story. She sounds like a lovely person, sadly taken too young. It's great that her sister cared for her.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
This is all I can find:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/nashville-hotline-the-creative-source-book/oclc/19173653

I think it was some kind of reference book about the music industry in Nashville.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I have tried to enlarge the writing but it only blurs when I do that, I have printed it out and it is marginally better but not great, but I do wonder if using a magnifying glass now I have printed it out will be the best way to read it for everyone. Sorry Liz and Jane I did hope I could get it larger for you.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Don't apologise Chris. It's just the one I can't read but I have three pairs of very young eyes coming to tea on Friday so I will get them to read it for me.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Kathy private msg quote post Address this user
It sounds like emotions were still raw at the time of that article. You can feel the bitterness! I have read several different explanations of the split. Probably a bit of everything. But it's nice to know when he had time off he manage to change his mind about wishing he never was an everly brother. I'm sure he is quite proud of it. Which he should be!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting what I could read of it. But like Jane I couldn't make out most of it.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
I have printed the article and if I have the time in a few days I will type it out for you all. I am doing more hours at work this week so it is difficult for a few days. Bear with me.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Thank You so much Chris !!!
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Thank you Chris. 👏
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Chris, take your time.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Looking forward to seeing the typed articles. Thanks for doing it, much appreciated.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
44633 23 23
destitute