The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum

Phil at Long Beach California7004

ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
This is another concert from Phil where he is just fantastic, the concert was split into 2 so I will link that here too.

Have you seen this one Roxy?

Enjoy, I know I will once again.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
What a great time he is having and of course the audience too. Thanks Chris.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Phil is so full of life in these videos, thoroughly enjoying himself, engaging with the band and the audience...my favourite is Sweet Southern Love, and thanks to the forum i found out it's a track on the Solo Years cd, which i now have, and treasure
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Liz I love the solo years too, an expensive cd but well worth the money. Phil really is so very good engaging like you said Liz. I truly wish he had done this as an Everly Brother. I wonder if we will ever find out why he didn't speak more at concerts etc. He does great interviews as we have seen so many times.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Chris I hadn't realised you have posted the Long beach Concerts here. I will enjoy watching these. Thanks.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy
Chris I hadn't realised you have posted the Long beach Concerts here. I will enjoy watching these. Thanks.

Roxy, Chris has only been on here since February but the amount of fascinating information she has posted is incredible, especially about the Homecoming concerts. Thank you Chris. ❤️
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz58
Phil is so full of life in these videos, thoroughly enjoying himself, engaging with the band and the audience...my favourite is Sweet Southern Love, and thanks to the forum i found out it's a track on the Solo Years cd, which i now have, and treasure

I will look for that CD Liz. The amount of solo work Phil did in those solo years is incredible and so diverse in style.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Thank you Jane for those kind comments. I think we are all fanatics where the Everly Brothers are concerned and everyone seems to have some different information to others which is just great when it comes to sharing it.

I do have some new parts to add to the Homecoming thread, I have tried to leave it a while for members to read before I posted some more. Also Sharon had been to the new museum so we had some new photos from there too which have been added to my Homecoming research. She knows I am very thankful for all the new pics. I will get the next segment to add to the Homecoming soon.

I hope Phil's album "Solo Years" has come down in price for you Jane it was a crazy amount I paid for it. I agree with you Jane how different in style Phil's solo work was, he wasn't afraid of trying something new and I applaud him for that. His solo voice is fantastic too, great sound and range, I really love Phil's solo work. Bearing in mind I have been hearing the EBs from the beginning in 1957 it is so good to hear solo songs too.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Jane prices for "Solo Years"
Amazon is much cheaper now than what I paid but still **

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solo-Years-Phil-Everly/dp/B0000252J4

http://www.musicstack.com/album/phil+everly/the+solo+years

1 Sweet Music
2 Goodbye Line
3 Feather Bed
4 Summershine
5 Too Blue
6 There's Nothing Too Good For My Baby
7 Invisible Man
8 Caroline
9 We're Running Out
10 It's Time
11 New Old Song
12 The Three Bells
13 Patiently
14 Lion & The Lamb
15 Mystic Line
16 January Butterfly
17 You And I Are A Song
18 Words In Your Eyes
19 Better Than Now
20 When Will I Be Loved
21 Back When The Bands Played In Ragtime
22 Friends
23 Baby You Know Me

Some from Discogs and eBay 2nd hand are much cheaper. The reason I paid more for mine was a friend had clicked on 2 when ordering and she hadn't shopped around too much so I said I would have one of them, but an eye watering price!!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Chris, I have managed to watch the two concerts above and I so enjoyed them. It is stunning to watch Phil on his own, he is like a different person. I wonder if his quietness when on stage with his brother dates back to their childhood. I think that with two young siblings, it is big brother who usually does all the talking for the younger one, especially before and during little one learning to speak.

Jane- if you were looking specifically for the track...
Sweet Southern Love? I would just say they it is not on Phil's Solo Years album. It is actually on the CD "The Everly Brothers-Rare Solo Classics" (I have just ordered that one from Amazon). I have had Phil's "Solo Years" for quite some time and love it and never tire of playing it. I love all the songs on it but my special favourites are Patiently and Words in your eyes.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
When the brothers were on the radio programmes with Ike and Margaret they both spoke and introduced things. Margaret said in the Roger White book "Walk Right Back" that she did not understand why they both did not speak on stage as they had been brought up to do that. When you see or hear Phil on the Johnny Cash Replacement shows Phil is just as adept at speaking/introducing artists/doing the funny sketches etc it is a shame it did not carry into "The Everly Brothers" when they were together. Phil is so easy with his audience and funny too.

Roxy I thought that about the song for Jane that is why I put the list of songs on for her. I too have the "Rare solo Classics" and it was hardly any money at all to buy that one. I actually bought it for "In Your Eyes" in the first instance, I just had to have that song.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
The first video at the start of this thread (Part 1) has anyone noticed Phil's long eyelashes?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Chris, yes I thought that was why you listed the songs. I just thought I would help make things absolutely clear.😇
That is interesting what you say Margaret said about them speaking equally on their earlier shows. It only seemed to happen from the Reunion onwards that Phil's attitude became slightly guarded - onstage at least. Isn't it amazing how fascinating we still find the two brothers? I do hope they knew what an impression they made on all of us.
Fantastic long eyelashes. The two of them were breathtakingly handsome in their younger days.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Thank you both. I saw the rare solo classics CD and it is less expensive but I don't think some of the tracks on it could be described as rare. I have a birthday in September so I will ask for Amazon vouchers and hopefully get the other one.

Roxy, I think the word 'guarded' is excellent when describing Phil in the post Reunion years. Perhaps he wanted the Reunion less than Don because he had a great time in the 10 years apart - lots of solo work on record and stage, collaborations, films, tv appearances etc and I think he was deeply hurt by what happened prior to the split. Didn't Don say, "The Everly Brothers died ten years ago," on stage after Phil walked off? Just my ideas, who really knows?

Yes, both had eyelashes to die for and were so very handsome.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Apologies to all, my mistake re Sweet Southern Love is of course on Rare Solo Classics, not Solo Years. I'm hoping to get Solo Classics when we're in Canada next month, in fact my EB list is lengthy, as I'd like to get cd versions where possible...but basically, anything EB related! I'll just have to watch out at customs!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
I got my Heartaches And Harmonies box set from Canada Liz.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Jane and Liz is the "Heartaches and Harmonies" less expensive in Canada and US?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Jane and Liz is the "Heartaches and Harmonies" less expensive in Canada and US?

That's a really hard one to answer Chris. I would look on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com and Amazon.ca to see prices and postage. The exchange rate however is very poor at the moment; we can remember getting 2.25 Canadian dollars and over 2 US dollars to the pound.

You could also look on Barnes and Noble's website and ask your son to give you the names of any local record stores and see if they have anything.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz58
Apologies to all, my mistake re Sweet Southern Love is of course on Rare Solo Classics, not Solo Years. I'm hoping to get Solo Classics when we're in Canada next month, in fact my EB list is lengthy, as I'd like to get cd versions where possible...but basically, anything EB related! I'll just have to watch out at customs!

Don't worry about customs Liz, they are unlikely to stop you. I don't know if you are planning to visit Vancouver Island but there was a huge record store in Victoria - that is where I got my box set from. I can't remember the name, I will check it out.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
This song is the reason I bought "Rare Solo Classics"

Post 20 • IP   flag post
Yippee, my copy of the CD is on its way!
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Hooray look what arrived in my mail this morning. Typical I have a busy day and won't be able to listen till much later this evening.
Can't wait.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Jane and Roxy so pleased you both have new cd's to listen to. I love them both, but my favourite of the 2 is Phil's Solo Years.
It will make your ironing go so much faster when you are playing Everly music Jane!!
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Kathy private msg quote post Address this user
i watch this at least once a month
Post 24 • IP   flag post
So do I Kathy, I have to get my Phil fix.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
43821 25 25
destitute