The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
jopip private msg quote post Address this user
Went to the concert by that great songwriter Jimmy Webb last week & also purchased his new book "The cake & the rain" in the hope of establishing the meaning of " MacArthur Park" which has always been a mystery to me.
A few pages in he talks about his Hollywood days & lighting up some elicit substance in The Sands health club spa room. It caused a stampede for the door with The Everly Brothers almost trampling over The Righteous brothers in their rush for the exit followed closely by the Hookers.
A great book.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
That sounds like a bit of an iffy place for Don and Phil to be 😃
Jimmy Webb is surely one of this era's greatest song writers; so many amazing compositions.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
So did you find out what MacArthur Park was all about? I always wondered.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
BobbyBri private msg quote post Address this user
I cannot be of any help here but this article might be of interest

clickable text
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
So it did not make any sense, but you can sing along with gusto, I love it sung by Richard Harris.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
It seems that MacArthur Park was a restaurant according to Jimmy Webb.

Post 6 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
A conundrum of a song, it reminds me of "Whiter Shade of Pale" which everyone tried to dissect and say what the lyrics meant, only for the writer to say that it was mostly a load of nonsense made up that sometimes it rhymed or not. It really was about nothing much at all just oddities added together to make a song. It was a massive hit which my husband detests and would love to make an ashtray out of the 45rpm!! Much as I would with the song "Bohemian Rhapsody" LOL
Post 7 • IP   flag post
43821 7 7
destitute