The Everly Brothers Fan Forum logo
Everly Brothers Forum
Jane43 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 1 • IP   flag post
We are just planning a visit to California next year and I am reminded of our last trip with our son and daughter-in-law in 2013. One afternoon we drove up into the Hollywood Hills to take pictures and on the way down we passed Laurel Canyon and on to Ventura Blvvd so of course I thought of this lovely song from Roots.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Joyb private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Jane. So soothing and relaxing you can imagine a beautiful sunny day. I love this song. Roots is one of my favourite albums xxx❤️❤️
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Annmary private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Jane, a very pleasant soothing song to dream by.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
salfitz private msg quote post Address this user
Jane, you will have to search out the old Palomino club.. now defunct but the building might still be there!!! You might even pass a member of Phil's family on the street, lucky you. xxx
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I remember as we drove along there were a few clubs; it would have been interesting to do some research beforehand but we tended to do what our son and d-i-l wanted to do (e.g. Donnie & Marie in Vegas 😔) as it was their first trip to California and they probably won't go again for many years. We will probably head off to Palm Springs after the first night as Los Angeles isn't our favourite place, just somewhere to fly to and from.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
This article is interesting Sally:

clickable text

It mentions The Everly Brothers.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
MeFloody private msg quote post Address this user
If this isn't the best Everly album, it sure is close to being so. I have loved it from the moment I first heard it; was it 1967?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Thanks for article jane really interesting reading xx❤️❤️
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Hi Jane, thanks for that really interesting article. I was living on the west coast in 68/69 but in the SF Bay area. I had no idea it was all go at the Palomino!! I did get to Filmore West, but the bands were pretty heavy electric and a bit wild for me. I did get to meet the Grateful Dead, through a friend of my sister, but I didnt see them play.
I wonder do you have to fly to LA? There is a really good airline called Norwegian who fly out of Gatwick to Oakland.. they have much better fleet of planes than BA or Virgin and if you go to their website they have some really good advance prices.. just a thought!! Can you fit me in your suitcase?? !!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
It is Mike.. I just love it too
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Thanks for that suggestion Sally. We usually fly from Manchester but I will check it out. We usually just stay at the Hilton airport hotel overnight then pick up a car the next morning and drive to wherever we have decided is our first stop.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Fascinating reading, thanks Jane.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Well Jane, it is a long haul to Gatwick, that's the problem, especially if you can get a decent flight from Manchester. We only have London from wet Wales, so Gatwick would not be so much further than Heathrow. I am sad to say I think my flying days are gone, but I do love flying and I do love California. maybe I should try the lottery then I could travel 1st class, taxi to the airport, and a nice comfy seat/bed for the flight. xx
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Never say never Sally. We said never again to California because of the two long flights, especially the second internal flight where the planes are not so comfortable but we took a Thomas Cook direct flight to Florida last year and were very impressed with everything about it. We booked economy for the outward flight and premium economy for the return flight and it was quite reasonable. We found they do a straight through flight to L A which makes it a much better proposition. We make our own way to Manchester but our son meets us when we return and drives us home, as you say Gatwick is a long haul.
Post 15 • IP   flag post

Phil live at The Palomino in 1982. Doesn't he look great?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
ChrisW private msg quote post Address this user
Jane when I watch this video of Phil I think I have died and gone to heaven, he is so good with his audience and a fabulous solo artist to boot. Just fabulous.

Also we are visiting our son in San Francisco in 2/3 months time, all sorted now. He is getting the itinerary all sorted, there will not be much time to rest, I may need to bank some rest and sleep in before we go. We are flying direct from Manchester too Jane, much better than an extra plane in London. Thomas Cook too.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Thank you what a fantastic posting of phil. As you say chris he not only sounds great he looks wonderful too and is so good with the audience. Am I right in thinking it was Jason who got up to sing with him. He was so lovely xxx❤️❤️
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Great video, Phil so easy and confident.
Who was the stupid woman who stood in front of him, were you yelling with me 'MOVE'!!!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Jane when I watch this video of Phil I think I have died and gone to heaven, he is so good with his audience and a fabulous solo artist to boot. Just fabulous.

Also we are visiting our son in San Francisco in 2/3 months time, all sorted now. He is getting the itinerary all sorted, there will not be much time to rest, I may need to bank some rest and sleep in before we go. We are flying direct from Manchester too Jane, much better than an extra plane in London. Thomas Cook too.

That sounds wonderful Chris. You will have a great time.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Yes I was yelling move st her Annmary. Don't know if she was a customer or waitress but she was a real nuisance. Stupid woman. Wish I'd been there xxx❤️❤️❤️
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Liz58 private msg quote post Address this user
Jane, great video! He's so full of energy, and thoroughly enjoying himself - and looking very handsome 😍 . I'm still in the market for a tardis or time machine, to take me back to being able to see either Phil or Don live, or both together. I never did see them, a fact I regret even more now that dear Phil has left us.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Jane, I have never seen that video before. What a revelation. Phil was such a natural with his audience... so relaxed and charismatic.
The singing was great too. I really enjoyed seeing this. Thank you.
🎸🎸🎸
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Roxy, I am wondering have you seen Phil at Long Beach, they are other concerts (part 1 & 2 actually) where Phil was showing what a good solo performer he was and he always had the audience in the palm of his hand. So handsome too, brilliant to watch here at the Palomino and Long Beach.

Joy I think it was Christopher at the Palomino but I could be wrong, I haven't thought the time line through in my head for the ages of his children, I am sure there is someone here who will do the maths for us!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Yes you could be right Chris. I'm not sure how oldphils sons are now but if that was 35 years ago and that little boy was about 7 or 8 maybe it would make him 42 or so now. It was very cute xxx ❤️❤️❤️
Post 25 • IP   flag post
I think Jason was born in 1966, the year my older son was born, and Chris after his second marriage, I think in 1974, so I think it is more likely to be Chris. Edan, Don's son, was close to Phil but was born in 1968, the year my younger son was born.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
I remember seeing somewhere in the last year that Jason was 50 and he was 6/7 years older than Christopher so I guess it was Christopher with Phil on stage. Phil says there are more Everlys in the audience. He used to take his 2 children and several of Don's altogether to the Palomino concerts. A lovely family thing for Phil to do. Edan gets Phil's guitar on one evening to play there, how generous Phil was with his time for his niece's and nephew, he was a diamond of a man.

2 photos of Phil and Edan at the Palomino, Phil's guitar strap is showing on Edan too.

Post 27 • IP   flag post
Good detective work Chris. Yes Phil was a lovely family man very generous with his time. Obviously doted on his sons andDons children. Thanks for the lovely photos. It's no wonder his and dons children thought so highly of him. A great dad and uncle xxx❤️❤️❤️
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Roxy private msg quote post Address this user
Chris, I haven't seen Phil's
Long Beach concert. I will try to find that thanks for tip off. I think it was lovely the way Phil involved his sons and nieces and nephew in his concerts and got them to sing on stage with him. I wonder if he was trying to give them the sort of childhood that he had had... singing with family, he said in documentary that his childhood/youth was the "best of times".
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Roxy I have posted it as a new thread, mostly for you, I expect many others have already seen it. Fantastic to watch again and again.

Check for the new threads at the top left then scroll down to the Long Beach ones.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
43821 31 30
destitute